Auto Insurance - Quincy, IL

What you need to know about

Everyone is required to have the state minimum limits of liability and underinsured or uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage in Illinois. Unfortunately, the limitations, maximums and coverage options can be confusing when trying to purchase auto insurance. Instead of blindly purchasing the first policy you come across, you should know a few things about auto insurance.

What Type of Auto Insurance is required in Illinois?

There are a few types of required auto insurance in Quincy, Illinois, as well as throughout the entire state. According to the Illinois Department of Insurance, drivers must have liability coverage and uninsured/ underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage and insurance.

Bodily injury liability coverage pays for the costs incurred or death to other people in an accident, provided they are not members of your household. Furthermore, Illinois law requires bodily injury limit be at least $50,000 total per accident, including $25,000 per accident per person.

Property damage covers damage to another person, property or vehicle, and minimum limits of $20,000 per accident are mandatory.

Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage covers you after you have been the victim of a hit-and-run or another accident when the other driver lacks the minimum required coverage. The $25,000 per accident per person and $50,000 total per accident limits apply as well.

Underinsured motorist bodily injury insurance is designed to make up the difference between your uninsured motorist bodily injury insurance and the limits of the policy of another driver. This additional level of underinsured coverage must be purchased if you buy higher limits of uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage.

While these minimum limits apply, the rising costs of vehicles and soaring costs of healthcare mean it may be best to increase your coverage limits to the maximum value available.

What About Full Coverage Auto Insurance?

Unlike liability, property damage and uninsured/ underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage, Illinois does not require drivers to have full coverage.

Full coverage covers the physical damage to your vehicle when you are at full or partial responsibility for physical damages or when damage occurs due to other events, like severe weather. Collision coverage is for accidents, and comprehensive coverage is for damages resulting from weather, theft, fires or other unavoidable damages. For both types of full coverage auto insurance, a deductible may apply.

Full coverage may be required for eased, financed or other vehicles with an existing lien, and depending on the lienholder, specific deductible and coverage limits may apply.

Are There Any Riders or Additional Coverage Options for Auto Insurance?

Additional insurance riders are available to help cover unforeseen expenses incurred following an auto accident. Some optional coverage riders include the following:
  • Gap coverage for leased or financed vehicles.
  • Rental reimbursement.
  • Towing.
  • Uninsured/ underinsured motorist property damage.
  • Custom equipment.
  • Accidental death benefits.
  • Add-ons for life and health insurance.
These riders may be added to your policy, depending on the limitations, exclusions and coverage option selected for your auto insurance needs. However, certain coverage options may have additional deductibles and limitations, such as a limit on rental reimbursement costs while your vehicle is being repaired.

Protect Yourself With the Right Amount and Type of Auto Insurance Now.

Finding the best deal on auto insurance also considers multiple factors, ranging from marital status to education and creditworthiness. Moreover, the right type of auto insurance can mean the difference between overcoming the financial burden of an auto accident and facing the legal consequences from not having coverage, not to mention living without transportation. Learn more about the types of auto insurance are available, and speak with a licensed insurance agent at Winters Insurance Group by phone at 1(217) 223-4080 or fill out the online contact form today.

Share by: